3 Steps to Simplifying Breakfast

by - 2:00 PM

Here's what I've had for breakfast over the past week:

  • Monday - Cereal
  • Tuesday - Cereal
  • Wednesday - Cereal
  • Thursday - Grits
  • Friday - Leftover soup and cherries
  • Saturday - German pancake, cherries and chocolate/coffee granola

As you can see, I put a ton of effort into what I ingest in the mornings.

Aha, right...

When it comes to breakfast, I tend to put it on the backburner -- or if I can, rip it open out of a package and pour it into a bowl. The habit only gets worse when I have to rise early and head out the door looking put together.

If you feel the same way, I encourage you to continue reading -- maybe this will inspire you to reflect on your breakfast choices. :)

Step one: Determine the goal.

When I wake up in the morning, I have a mission. And that mission tends to be: get the day started. This can lead to me poor food decisions and essentially -- if I'm in a rush -- skipping breakfast altogether.

In an effort to make healthier choices, I set up a simple guide for myself when it comes to breakfast. It goes as follows...

My goal when choosing breakfast: Simple, quick and replicable.


Even if that means eating the same thing daily to cut out prime decision-making time.

So ask yourself, what is my goal? You can make it as vague ("find something that tastes yummy") or complicated ("I want to make breakfast foods that fit within the constraints of being vegan. In less than 10 minutes.") as you'd like.

Step two: Determine your level of effort + your time constraint.

I'll be honest. I'm lazy.* I don't want to have to put a lot of effort into my food. But there aren't always granola bars or instant grits in the house. And then there's the wanting more sleep so what do I sacrifice scenario. (Hint: Breakfast is usually the first to be abandoned.)

So what do I do?

* In the mornings. By dinnertime, I'm ready to be crowned Master Chef.

Here's a chart to help you decide:


How much effort are you willing to put into your breakfast?
Minimal versus maximum

How much time can you spend making your breakfast?
Less than 10 minutes versus more than half an hour

Where you land on the chart

Box 1: A step above fast food

You will benefit greatly if you stick with the classic Bowl of Cereal. Feel free to experiment with this one and choose something a little less marshmallowy and a lot more nutritious.

Other ideas:
  • Quick grits (I like to put salt, pepper and butter in 'em)
  • Pre-made muffins
    • You can make muffins and freeze them so only use them when you need them.
  • Oatmeal
  • Leftovers (personal fave)

Box 2: Energy best spent elsewhere

So you have the time, but you don't have the energy. That's okay. BUT, I would still strive to keep your morning simple. Take the extra time you have to prepare for your day. Read your Bible, skim the comics or write out a to-do list. If you have the time, don't rush it.


Other ideas:
  • Fruity Morning - Banana, blueberry, strawberry, raspberry, all the favorites!
  • Tea or coffee paired with granola (or another easy favorite)
  • Simple muffins 

Box 3: The clock is against you

You want to put your heart into it, but there just isn't enough time. Instead of spending time daily on your breakfast, set time aside at the beginning of the week (Sunday afternoon, perhaps?) to decide what you'll eat beforehand.* Then make those meals beforehand and spread them out through the week.

Other ideas:

  • Muffins, pancakes, egg cups - something you can freeze and then heat up later on.
  • Simple + quick things such as grits and oatmeal

* See step 3

Box 4: Mother's Day is every day :)

Friend, go all out! You have the time and the passion, so don't hold back. Let your creative juices flow. It will make your stomach very happy. ;)


Other ideas:

  • Breakfast pizza
  • Casserole
  • Fresh pancakes and berries
  • Cinnamon roll pancakes (LOVE THESE)
  • Monkey bread
  • Fried ham with pineapple
  • The Classic Bowl of Cereal FEATURING fruit
    • Or chocolate

Step three: Plan what you're going to have for breakfast for the next week.

I would begin with having the same thing every morning. But if you know that will get boring for you, go all out and make a little schedule for yourself. You could even spend your Saturday baking muffins to freeze for yourself. :)

Whatever you do, remember to consider how much time you have, your level of effort and your personal tastes.

Where do you fall on the breakfast chart?

What's your favorite breakfast food?

Did this help you? Let me know by commenting and sharing with your friends! :)


You May Also Like

0 comments