2 DIYs Using the $1 IKEA Bag

by - 2:00 PM




Before you get started

  1. Take apart the bag
    1. First, remove the straps by using the tip of your scissors to break the thread that keeps it in place. Do this to all the straps on both sides. You should end up with two short straps, two long straps and the bag itself.
    2. Next, find the seam on the SIDE of the bag and use your scissors to break the thread at the top. Be careful not to cut or rip the bag. Work your way down until you get to the seam at the bottom of the bag, then do that too. This was fairly easy and quick for me, but if you have trouble DON'T TUG. You run the risk of ripping the bag. Instead, snip at the thread with the scissors and keep pulling the two sides apart to create a tension that shows that still keeping everything attached.
  2. Keep ALL the pieces
    1. I even kept my tag. Just in case. ^.^

The pieces you'll end up with (NOT EXACT MEASUREMENTS):

  • Body in two pieces:
    • Large (sides): 70 in. by 15.5 in.
    • Small (bottom): 21 in. X 13 in.
  • Straps:
    • 2 long: 29 in. each
    • 2 short: 12 in. each

#1 - Hanging Mason Jar

What you'll need:
  • Thread & sturdy needle OR if you prefer a sewing machine
  • Pins
  • Scissors
  • The longer of the two body pieces of the bag (side)
  • Mason jar
  • Ruler or measuring tape
  • Pencil/marker
  • Paper
  • Ribbon


These were the measurements of my mason jar:

  • BASE: 3.5in x 3.5in
  • HEIGHT: just under 7in

Knowing the measurements of my mason jar, I laid out the long piece of IKEA fabric and measured a strip that was about 5.5 inches in height (shorter than the mason jar so I could see the top of it peeking over the edge of the bag) and 16 inches long (because the jar is 3.5 by 3.5 I take the perimeter [3.5 times 4 = 14] + 2 inches and use that as the length, so that my square base with fit within it when it's sewn).





Before I cut, I measure everything out with a ruler and a Sharpie, making sure that the top edge of the bag -- the part that is hemmed over -- will be the top of my mason jar's new little home.

Then I cut.


With the fabric left over, I measure out the square base of my mason jar. The measurements were originally 4 in. by 4 in., but I later cut it down to 3.5 in. by 3.5 in. (Oh the joy of completely winging it.) 



Next, I pinned the square to the bottom of the sides, with "right" sides facing together (this was so the stitching wouldn't be visible when I turned it right side out). As expected there was a little bit of over hang at the sides, which I kept (just in case!). I also pinned the sides together.


Then I threaded my needle, knotted the end and began sewing along the bottom. I used what is called an Overcast Stitch. I pushed the needle in through the back, pulling it towards me. I repeat this on all the stitches, pushing through from the back and pulling it through to the front.

I great example of this stitch is found in this blog post by Miss Sews-it-all.

After the bottom was finished I moved up the side. This part was trickier because I wanted to sew it so that the thread wouldn't be visible at all when turned right side out again. Catching enough fabric but not too much is difficult, so take your time. I also made sure to only sew one side of the hemmed edge -- you'll see why in a moment.

If you're not into hand sewing, feel free to use a machine. But not everyone has one and I wanted to see if this would hold together if I did it this way. :)

When I was done sewing I knotted the end a good few times and turned it right side out. I have to say I was pleased it didn't rip -- I was pretty rough with it. XD






Next, I measured 4 equal points along the rim of the "bag" and made cuts on the outside edge only. Like this:



See how the cut isn't through both layers? Only the outside.

Then I took my ribbon (12 inches each) and threaded it through. How long your ribbon should be depends on where you're hanging the jar. If it's up high and you won't need to reach it, shorter is better. But if you want it to be accessible, take into consideration how long you're going to need it to be.




Basic steps:

  • Measure your mason jar.
  • Cut out a strip of fabric for the side and bottom.
  • Pin right sides together.
  • Sew.
  • Turn right side out.
  • Check the mason jar's fit.
  • Create 4 slits along the rim.
  • Thread ribbons through and knot them together.
  • Hang and enjoy!

If you made it this far, comment "IKEA for the win". ;)

#2 - IKEA Choker

What you'll need:
  • IKEA Bag strap (long)
  • Elastic (1 inch wide)
  • Lighter (for the ends of the ribbon)
  • Sewing machine OR needle and thread
  • Measurement of the circumference of your neck (mine was 12 inches)
  • Velcro




With the measurement of your neck (one does not get to say that often, hm?), cut down the long IKEA bag strap to 7 1/4 inches.

I made sure to cut mine so that the IKEA was the center and there were seven lines as a margin on each side.



Using your neck measurement, subtract the length of the strap (round down to 7 inches) to get the measurement for the elastic you'll need (13 - 7 = 6).

The total length of my choker was 13 inches. The ribbon was 7 1/4, while the elastic was about 3 inches on each side when I included the room for velcro. (7 + 3 + 3 =  13)



Here is what it look like pinned together.



Next, I peeled the velcro off its little cardboard home and placed it on the ends so that when the two ends met, they would catch on to each other.




I placed the softer side toward the skin, and the scratchier side away from the skin.


I got tired of the frayed ends of my ribbon, so I took a lighter and very gently ran it along the ends to seal them up.


Now to sew the elastic to the ribbon! I tried to choose a place where the thread (mine was black) wouldn't be too noticeable, and settled on sewing into one of the lines the ribbon had on it. (Pictured above)

I used a stitch called a back stitch to make the bond really secure and strong. I want my choker to keep up with the wear and tear of, well, wearing it.

And that's it!


Elastic is secured!

Basic steps:

  • Measure neck
  • Cut ribbon to about 7 inches long, with the IKEA logo as the center.
  • Use a lighter to slightly melt the ends of the ribbon and keep them from fraying.
  • Subtract ribbon length from your neck measurement to get the length of elastic you will need.
  • Divide this number by 2.
  • Cut elastic to the divided length.
  • Pin to ribbon.
  • Sew using a back stitch.
  • Apply velcro.
  • Wear!

And that is all!

What will you make with your IKEA bag? Let me know in the comments!

    You May Also Like

    1 comments