Discovering Hidden Pieces of the World

by - 2:00 PM

An adventure of my own.


This past weekend I did something completely bizarre and unfamiliar to me: I went somewhere on a whim.

I was in charge of getting my sister to her volleyball practice safely, and due to the distance, I decided to wait out in the parking lot for two hours instead of driving back home. I was well equipped with books, a notebook, and pencils, ready to settle in and get 'er done. #adulting

After the first 45 minutes, I couldn't concentrate. I kept thinking about how I could be doing something else. Maybe it was the procrastinator in me talking, but it was an urge I couldn't ignore.

What moved me was this...

I could fulfill a desire I'd had for a long time: to go on a spontaneous adventure.


So I did.

I turned on the car, peeled out of the parking lot and decided to go the opposite direction from home.

And I drove. 5 minutes went by. 10 minutes went by. I turned the radio up when I felt good, down when I needed to concentrate. I drove by gas stations and turn offs. I passed run down stores and freshly paved roads. I watched the world go from fast lane lined with trees to society and back again.

And I'll admit I squealed aloud because I was actually doing it.

When I couldn't take driving anymore I turned off on a little side street where beautiful houses sat back from the road, giving them expansive front yards. I looked around, wondering why my gut said to go this way.

Then I saw it.


The Heart of Ohio Trail. It was small. Hidden. Secluded. Private. It was perfect.

I parked on the little gravel lot someone cared enough to create -- and I'll be honest, my pick up truck took up 2.5 of the 3 spaces -- threw myself out the door and began walking.

I could see homes over the plants that reached toward the sky. Bugs buzzed around my ears (which I HATE by the way) and birds chirped to one another.

This little strip in the heart of my world was a step away from reality, yet it was just enough to provide an escape.

I'm still amazed that I did (and came back in one piece).

Have you ever gone on a spontaneous adventure? Have you ever discovered pieces and parts where you lived that you hadn't known existed?


   

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Oh, this post has my heart!

    "I watched the world go from fast lane lined with trees to society and back again. And I'll admit I squealed aloud because I was actually doing it."

    ^ I have so been there! Sometimes I get anxious and caught up in the everyday and just in my own head and the best thing for those times is a spontaneous drive to...somewhere! I love that you found a nature trail. I have found little parks and places like this when I'm in a spontaneous mood. It's the most beautiful thing. I loved this!

    ReplyDelete